Location: Transylvania – Central Romania
Nearby large towns: Brasov (9 miles northeast)
Rasnov Fortress, is located in the Carpathian Mountains, 650 ft. above the town of Rasnov. First mentioned in an official document in 1331, the fortress was built by Teutonic Knights as protection against invading Tartars. Strategically located on the commercial route linking the provinces of Transylvania and Walachia, Rasnov differs from other Saxon fortresses in that it was designed as a place of refuge over extended periods of time. As such, it had at least 30 houses, a school, a chapel and other buildings more commonly associated with a village.
The fortress was last used as a place of refuge during the revolution of 1848 and was abandoned after that.
Dire Straits-Brothers in arms